Once you've created a project or folder you can begin building dashboards from panels called Web Parts
. Web Parts are the basic tools of the server -- they surface all of the functionality of the server including: analysis and search tools, windows onto your data, queries, any reports built on your data, etc. The list of web parts available depends on which modules are enabled in a given folder/project.
There are two display regions for web parts, each offering a different set. The main, wider panel on the left, where you are reading this wiki, and a narrower right-hand column (on this page containing search, feedback, and a table of contents). Some web parts, like Search
can be added in either place.
Add a Web Part
- Navigate to the location where you want the web part.
- Enter Page Admin Mode to enable the page editing tools.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
- Choose the desired web part from the <Select Web Part> drop down box and click Add.
- Note: if both selectors are stacked on the right, make your browser slightly wider to show them on separate sides.
- The web part you selected will be added below existing web parts. Use the (triangle) menu to move it up the page, or make other customizations.
- Click Exit Admin Mode in the upper right to hide the editing tools and see how your page will look to users.
If you want to add a web part that does not appear in the drop down box, choose (Admin) > Folder > Management > Folder Type
to view or change the folder type and set of modules enabled.
Anchor Tags for Web Parts
You can create a URL or link to a specific web part by referencing its "anchor". The anchor is the name of the web part. For example, this page in the File Management Tutorial example has several web parts:
The following URL will navigate the user directly to the "Prelim Lab Results" query web part displayed at the bottom of the page. Notice that spaces in names are replaced with "%20" in the URL.