Extract-Transform-Load functionality lets you encapsulate some of the most common database tasks, especially:
- Extracting data from a database
- Transforming it, and
- Loading it into another database.
Some scenarios where ETLs are useful:
- Assembling data warehouses that integrate data from multiple data sources.
- Migration from one database schema to another, especially where the source schema is an external database.
- Coalescing many tables into one.
- Distributing (aka, provisioning) one table into many.
- Cloning the current state of a table.
- Normalizing data from different systems.
- Moving data in scheduled increments.
- When migration processes require logging and auditing.
ETL functionality can be encoded (1) in a custom module or (2) using the folder management UI
on the server. The following topics will get you started developing ETL scripts and processes and packaging them as modules: