Once you've learned about LabKey
your LabKey Trial Server, you can start creating your own projects and custom applications.
This topic assumes you are using a LabKey Trial Server
and have it open in another browser window.
As a first project, let's create a "Tutorials" project in which you can run some LabKey tutorials.
Create a Project
To open the project creation wizard you can:
- Click the "Create" button on the Trial Server home page.
- OR: Select (Admin) > Site > Create Project.
- OR: Click the "Create Project" icon at the bottom of the project menu as shown:
The project creation wizard includes three steps.
- Give the project a Name and choose the folder type.
- Configure users and permissions (or accept the defaults and change them later).
- Choose optional project settings (or configure them later).
Add Some Content
Let's customize the landing page and make it easier to use.
- In the Wiki web part, click Create a new wiki page to display in this web part.
- Leave the Name as "default"
- Enter the Title "Welcome"
- In the body field, enter: "Feel free to make a new subfolder and run a tutorial in it."
- Click Save & Close.
- Customize the page layout:
- Select (Admin) > Page Admin Mode.
- In the web part header menu for your new "Welcome" wiki, select (triangle) > Move Up.
- In the web part header menu for both "Messages" and "Pages", select (triangle) > Remove From Page.
You can now use this project as the base for tutorials.
Subfolders Web Part
Most LabKey tutorials begin with creation of a new subfolder of a specific type, which you can add by clicking Create New Subfolder
here. There are no subfolders to display yet, but once you add a few, this web part will look something like this, giving you a one click way to return to a tutorial folder later.
Tutorials for your LabKey Trial Server
Try one of these:
Share With Others
Now that you have created a new project and learned more about LabKey Server, consider sharing with a colleague. To invite someone to explore the Trial Server you created, simply add them as a new user:
- Select (Admin) > Site > Site Users.
- Click Add Users above the grid of existing site users.
- Enter one or more email addresses, each on it's own line.
- If you want to grant the new user(s) the same permissions on the server as another user, such as yourself, check the box for Clone permissions from user: and enter the user ID. See what permissions will be cloned by clicking Permissions.
- To grant different permissions to the new user, do not check this box, simply click Add Users and configure permission settings for each project and folder individually.
- Notification email will be sent inviting the new user unless you uncheck this option. You can also see this email by clicking the here link in the UI that will appear.
- Click Done.
- You will see the new user(s) listed in the grid. Click the Permissions link for each one in turn and see the permissions that were granted. To change these in any given project or folder, navigate to it and use (Admin) > Folder > Permissions. See Configure Permissions for more information.
What Else Can I Do?
Change the Color Scheme
The color scheme, or theme, is a good way to customize the look of a given project. To see what the other themes look like, see Web Site Theme
To change what your Tutorials project looks like:
- Navigate to the Tutorials project, or any subfolder of it.
- Select (Admin) > Folder > Project Settings.
- Under Theme, select another option.
- Scroll down and click Save.
- Return to the folder and see the new look.
- Switch to the home project (click the LabKey logo in the upper left) and see the site default still applies there.
- To restore the original look, return to the Tutorials project and reset the "Leaf" theme.
You can also change the theme for the site as a whole by selecting (Admin) > Site > Site Console
. Click Settings
, then under Configuration
, choose Look and Feel Settings
. The same options are available for the Theme
You can create more new projects and folders on your LabKey Trial Server to mock up how it might work for your specific solution. Many features available in a full LabKey installation are not shown in the trial version; you can learn more in our documentation
Feel free to contact us
and we can help you determine if LabKey is the right fit for your research.