This tutorial provides a walkthrough of LabKey's "longitudinal study" features, which help researchers to curate their datasets, analyze them, and publish the results. The study toolkit also includes quality control features, an intuitive visualization builder, data de-identification, and much more.
Note that all of the links in this tutorial open their targets in new browser tabs. To open the links in a new window, hold down the Shift key and click the link.
In this first step we look at the main dashboards of the study. Each tab provides different information and tools organized by what users need. Note that all data in this example study is fictional and created by random data generators.
The Study's Home Page
- To begin, go to the online example: Example Longitudinal Study. (Opens in a new tab.)
- The LabKey Studies tab is your landing place for this online example. It includes some context about how LabKey studies help researchers manage clinical data.
"Explore this Study" (Overview) Tab
- Click the Explore this Study tab to open the main dashboard for the (simulated) research effort.
- If you were to create your own study folder, this information would be on a tab named Overview by default.
- Here you see a summary of the final results, details about the methodology used, the funding grant, and other contextual information. Links are provided to the most important datasets and visualizations.
Data and Reports Tab
- Next, click the Data and Reports tab. (Opens in a new tab.)
- This tab displays the base datasets and reports built on top of the base datasets, such as joined data grids and visualizations. Hover over a link to see a popup preview of the item.
- Next, click the Participants tab. (Opens in a new tab.)
- Study participants have been grouped by cohort, treatment groups, and any other groups you define.
- Hovering over a label will highlight members on the participant list.
- Use checkboxes to control which groups are shown in the list.
- Clicking a participantID will open the details page for that individual.
- Finally, click the Specimens tab. (Opens in a new tab.)
- LabKey Server provides configurable tools for managing specimen data and request systems.
Administrators will see an additional tab for managing various aspects of the study.