— Available in the Professional and Enterprise Editions of LabKey Server. Also available as an Add-on to the Starter Edition. Learn more
or contact LabKey
LabKey Server can import data collected using REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture)
online surveys and forms. Existing REDCap projects can be directly imported into a LabKey Server study using the REDCap API. You can either import the REDCap data into an existing study, or use it as the demographic basis for a new study.
REDCap data objects are imported into LabKey Server as follows:
|REDCap data object||LabKey Server data object||Notes|
|form00000000000000||dataset0000000000000000000000||Forms are imported as Labkey Server study datasets. You can specify which forms should be imported as demographic datasets using the configuration property demographic.|
|event||visit or date||Events are imported as either LabKey Server visits or dates. You can specify 'visit' or 'date' import using the configuration property timepointType.|
|multichoice fields||lookups||Multiple choice fields are imported as lookups. Possible values are imported into separate Lists.|
You can also set up data reloading on a recurring schedule to capture new data in the REDCap project.
Note: REDCap forms must have the status 'complete' to be imported. If forms are marked 'incomplete,' the data structure will be created, but it will be empty.
Enable the REDCap Module
- In your study folder, go to: (Admin) > Folder > Management and click the Folder Type tab.
- Under Modules, place a checkmark next to REDCap.
- Click Update Folder.
Connect and Configure REDCap Projects
- In your study folder, click the Manage tab.
- Click Manage External Reloading.
- Click Configure REDCap.
- Configure connections and reloading on the three tabs:
- Connnection - Use this tab to specify the REDCap server you intend to draw data from. You can also define a recurring schedule to reload the data.
- Datasets - Use this tab to override import behavior for individual REDCap forms. For example, you can import a given form into LabKey as either a dataset (the default behavior) or as a List.
- Advanced - Use this tab to define advanced configurations using XML.
The information you enter here sets up communication between LabKey Server and a REDCap server (or servers). For each REDCap project you wish to load data from, there must be a separate row of connection information.
- XML Export Format: If your REDCap project supports the CDISC format, confirm that this is checked to proceed. Remove this checkmark if your REDCap project does not support the CDISC format or if you are using a REDCap version before than 6.12. Documentation for the earlier non-CDISC format is available in the documentation archive at REDCap Legacy Import.
- REDCap Server URL: The URL of the target REDCap server. The URL should end with 'api/', for example: https://redcap.iths.org/api/
- Change Token: Check the box to change the authorization token.
- Token: A hexidecimal value used by the REDCap server to authenticate the identity of LabKey Server as a client. Get the token value from your REDCap server, located on the REDCap API settings page of the project you are exporting from.
- Enable Reloading: (Optional). Place a checkmark here to start reloading on a schedule defined below.
- Load On: Optional. Set the start date for the reloading schedule.
- Repeat (days): Optional. Repeat the reload after this number of days.
- Save: Create a connection to the REDCap server. After clicking Save you can refine the import behavior on the Datasets tab. For details see Medidata / CDISC ODM Integration.
- Reload Now: Loads the data from REDCap on demand.
The Advanced tab lets you control advanced options using XML. Use the example XML below, or autogenerated XML, as a template.
For details, see the redCapExport.xsd XML reference
Note that the XML used to configure REDCap and that used to configure the ODM CDISC reloads are not inter-compatible.
Available configuration options are described below:
Example Configuration File
- serverUrl: Required. The URL of the REDCap server api (https://redcap.test.org/redcap/api/).
- projectName: Required. The name of the REDCap project (used to look up the project token from the netrc file). The projectName must match the project name entered on the Authentication tab.
- subjectId: Required. The field name in the REDCap project that corresponds to LabKey Server's participant id column.
- timepointType: Optional. the timepoint type (possible values are either 'visit' or 'date'), the default value is: 'date'.
- matchSubjectIdByLabel: Optional. Boolean value. If set to true, the import process will interpret 'subjectId' as a regular expression. Useful in situations where there are slight variations in subject id field names across forms in the REDCap project.
- duplicateNamePolicy: Optional. How to handle duplicate forms when exporting from multiple REDCap projects. If the value is set to 'fail' (the default), then the import will fail if duplicate form names are found in the projects. If the value is set to 'merge', then the records from the duplicate forms will be merged into the same dataset in LabKey Server (provided the two forms have an identical set of column names).
- formName: Optional. The name of a REDCap form to import into LabKey Server as a dataset.
- dateField: Optional. The field that holds the date information in the REDCap form.
- demographic: Optional. Boolean value indicating whether the REDCap form will be imported into LabKey Server as a 'demographic' dataset.