Now that the data has been searched and the results have been imported (including an X! Tandem search, PeptideProphet scoring, XPRESS quantitation, and ProteinProphet scoring), you can view the results as described in this tutorial step.
View the PeptideProphet Results
- Refresh the Proteomics Tutorial folder page in your browser.
- In the MS2 Runs section, click Peroxisomal_ICAT/MM_clICAT13 (k_Yeast_ICAT).
View Peptide Details
- In the Peptides and Proteins section, under the Scan or Peptide columns, click a link for a peptide sequence.
- In a new tab, you'll see a page that shows spectra information, as well as quantitation results, as shown below.
- Experiment with the control panel on the left to control the visualizations on the right.
View Peptide Scores with Highest and Lowest Certainty
To view the peptides scored with the highest certainty by PeptideProphet:
- Close the Peptide Details browser tab, and return to the results page for Peroxisomal_ICAT/MM_clICAT13 (k_Yeast_ICAT).
- In the Peptides and Proteins section, locate the PepProphet column.
- Click the column heading and choose Sort Descending to see the scores with the highest certainty.
- Choose Sort Ascending to see the scores with the lowest certainty.
Manage Peptide Views
There are two web parts for controlling how peptides are filtered and displayed.
Use options in the View
web part to specify more options for how to view peptides. In each section, select a value and click Go
- Grouping: offers options for aggregating peptide data. You can specify whether peptides are viewed by themselves or grouped by the protein assigned by the search engine or by ProteinProphet group. You can also customize the grid to control the columns displayed. Options include:
- Standard offers access to additional data like protein annotations and experimental annotations using LabKey Server's Query interface.
- Protein Groups displays proteins grouped by ProteinProphet protein groups.
- Hyper charge filter: Specify minimum Hyper values for peptides in each charge state (1+, 2+, 3+).
- Minimum tryptic ends: By default, zero is selected and all peptides are shown. Click 1 or 2 if you only want to see peptides where one or both ends are tryptic.
- Highest score filter: Check the box to show only the highest score for Hyper.
The combination of grouping and filters can be saved as a named view by clicking Save View
in the View
web part. Select an existing view from the pulldown.
Click Manage Views
to open a page allowing you to select which view to show when you first look at a run. Options are to use the standard, select a default, or use the last view you were looking at. You can also delete any obsolete saved views from this page.
Peptides and Proteins Grid
In the Peptides and Proteins
web part on the main page, by selecting (Grid Views) > Customize Grid
, you can manage how peptide and protein data is displayed in the grid. Add, remove, or rearrange columns, then apply sorts and filters to columns. Learn more about working with grids in this topic: Customize Grid Views
Once you've modified the grid to your liking, you can save it as a named custom grid. Custom grids can be private or shared with others, and once defined may be applied to any MS/MS data set in the container. Note that custom grids are saved separately from the peptide views saved above. In our tutorial example, you can see two shared grids: "ProteinProphet" and "SearchEngineProtein".