LabKey Server provides rich tools for working with databases and SQL queries. By developing SQL queries you can:
- Create filtered grid views of data.
- Join data from different tables.
- Group data and compute aggregates for each group.
- Add a calculated column to a query.
- Format how data is displayed using query metadata.
- Create staging tables for building reports.
Special features include:
How are SQL Queries processed?
- An intuitive table-joining syntax called lookups. Lookups use a convenient syntax of the form "Table.ForeignKey.FieldFromForeignTable" to achieve what would normally require a JOIN in SQL. For details see LabKey SQL Reference.
: LabKey Server parses the query, does security checks, and basically "cross-compiles" the query into the native dialect before passing it on to the underlying database.