Studies can be exported, imported, and reloaded to make it easy to transfer them between servers, duplicate them within a server, and synchronize them with a primary database. A few common usage scenarios:
- Studies can be exported and reimported to transfer from a staging environment to a production server.
- A snapshot of one study can be exported and imported into several new studies so that they share a common baseline.
- A brand new study can be generated with the exported structure (with or without the data) of an existing study. This allows very rapid creation of new studies based on templates.
- The structure of an existing set of studies can also be standardized by importing selected structural elements from a common template.
- A study can be exported masking all identifying information enabling the sharing of results without sharing PHI or any patient or clinic details.
- Export a Study - Export a study to an archive format, either as exploded files or as a zip file.
- Import a Study - Import a study from an archive format.
- Reload a Study - Reload a study manually or via script using the API.
Study, list, and folder archives are all written using UTF-8 character encoding for text files. Imported archives are parsed as UTF-8.
- Publish a Study - Export selected study data to a subfolder, typically for wider distribution. Publishing a study lets you control which, if any, PHI data is included in the subfolder.
- Ancillary Studies - Export selected study data, typically to test new hypotheses.
- Export / Import a Folder - Importing and exporting a folder are described in this topic. Folders are broader containers than studies, so the options presented for folder export/import are more extensive.
- LabKey XML Schema Reference