The Admin Console
is a site dashboard consolidating many management services including the following:
- Customize the LabKey site, including configuration and customization of many settings
- View detailed information about the system configuration and installed modules.
- View diagnostic information about memory usage and more.
- Audit a wide range of server activities from user logins to file actions to queries executed.
Access the Admin Console
The Admin Console can be accessed by Site Administrators
- At the top right of your screen, select (Admin) > Site > Admin Console.
- Most of the administration actions are configured on the Settings tab, which opens by default.
Admin Console Settings Tab
A variety of tools and information resources are provided on the Admin Console in several categories of links:
The section for Premium Features
will include some or all of the following features, as well as possibly additional features, depending on the edition you are running and the modules you have configured.
Learn more about premium editions
- Authentication: View, enable, disable and configure authentication providers (e.g. Database, LDAP, CAS, Duo). Configure options like self sign-up and self-service email changes.
- Change User Properties: Edit fields in the Users table.
- Email Customization: Customize auto-generated emails sent to users.
- Experimental Features: Offers the option to enable experimental features. Proceed with caution as no guarantees are made about the features listed here.
- External Redirect Hosts: Configure a list of allowable external targets of redirect URLs.
- Files: Configure file system access by setting site file root and configuring file and pipeline directories.
- Flow Cytometry: Settings for the flow module.
- Folder Types: Select which folder types will be available for new project and folder creation. Disabling a folder type here will not change the type of any current folders already using it.
- Look and Feel Settings: Customize colors, fonts, formats, and graphics.
- Mascot Server: Set up integration with a Mascot server.
- Missing Value Indicators: Manage indicators for datasets.
- Project Display Order: Choose whether to list projects alphabetically or specify a custom order.
- Short URLs: Define short URL aliases for more convenient sharing and reference.
- Site Settings: Configure a variety of basic system settings, including the base URL and the frequency of system maintenance and update checking.
- System Maintenance: These tasks are typically run every night to clear unused data, update database statistics, perform nightly data refreshes, and keep these server running smoothly and quickly. We recommend leaving all system maintenance tasks enabled, but some of the tasks can be disabled if absolutely necessary. By default these tasks run on a daily schedule. You can change the time of day which they run if desired. You can also run a task on demand by clicking one of the links. Available tasks may vary by implementation but could include:
- Clean Up Archived Modules
- Database Maintenance
- Defragment ParticipantVisit Indexes
- Master Patient Index Synchronization
- Purge Expired API Keys
- Purge Unused Participants
- Report Service Maintenance
- Search Service Maintenance
- Targeted MS: Journal groups. Manage journal groups used in conjunction with the "publication protocol" implemented for the targetedms (Panorama) module.
- Targeted MS Chromatogram Crawler: Crawl containers to find chromatograms.
- Views and Scripting: Allows you to configure different types of scripting engines.
- Audit Log: View the audit log; many category-specific logs are available.
- Full-Text Search: Configure and view both primary and external search indexing.
- MS2: Administrative information for the mass spectrometry module.
- Notification Service Admin: Enable or disable the notification service at the site level. Active notifications are listed.
- Pipeline: Administrative information for the pipeline module.
- Pipeline Email Notification: Enable pipeline notification emails.
- Protein Databases: Protein Database Administration interface.
Links to diagnostic pages and tests that provide usage and troubleshooting information.
- Actions: View information about the time spent processing various HTTP requests.
- Attachments: View attachment types and counts, as well as a list of unknown attachments (if any).
- Caches: View information about caches within the server.
- Check Database: Check database table consistency, validate that domains match tables, and generate a database schema in XML format.
- Credits: Jar and Executable files distributed with LabKey Server modules.
- Data Sources: A list of all the data sources defined in labkey.xml that were available at server startup and the external schemas defined in each.
- Dump Heap: Write the current contents of the server's memory to a file for analysis.
- Environment Variables: A list of all the current environment variables and their values, for example, CATALINA_HOME and JAVA_HOME will be shown
- Loggers: Manage the logging level of different LabKey components here. For example, while investigating an issue you may want to set a particular logging path to DEBUG to cause that component to emit more verbose logging.
- Memory Usage: View current memory usage within the server. You can clear caches and run garbage collection from this page.
- Pipelines and Tasks: See a list of all registered pipelines and tasks. This list may assist you in troubleshooting pipeline issues. You will also see TaskId information to assist you when building ETL scripts.
- Profiler: Configure development tools like stack trace capture and performance profiling.
- Queries: View the SQL queries run against the database, how many times they have been run, and other performance metrics.
- Reset Site Errors: Reset the start point in the labkey-errors.log file when you click View All Site Errors Since Reset later, nothing prior to the reset will be included. You will need to confirm this action by clicking OK.
- Running Threads: View the current state of all threads running within the server. Clicking this link also dumps thread information to the log file.
- Site Validation: Runs any validators that have been registered. (Validators are registered with the class SiteValidationProvider.)
- SQL Scripts: Provides a list of the SQL scripts that have run, and have not been run, on the server. Includes a list of scripts with errors, and "orphaned" scripts, i.e., scripts that will never run because another script has the same "from" version but a later "to" version.
- Suspicious Activity: Records any activities that raise 404 errors, including but not limited to things like attempts to access the server from questionable URLs, paths containing "../..", POST requests not including CSRF tokens, or improper encoding or characters.
- System Properties: A list of current system properties and their values, for example, devmode = true.
- Test Email Configuration: View and test current SMTP settings. See Installation: SMTP, Encryption, LDAP, and File Roots for information about setting them.
- View All Site Errors: View the current contents of the labkey-errors.log file from the <CATALINA_HOME>/logs directory, which contains critical error messages from the main labkey.log file.
- View All Site Errors Since Reset: View the contents of labkey-errors.log that have been written since the last time its offset was reset through the Reset Site Errors link.
- View Primary Site Log File: View the current contents of the labkey.log file from the <CATALINA_HOME>/logs directory, which contains all log output from LabKey Server.
Server Information, Module Information, and Active User Tabs
The other tabs in the admin console offer grids of detailed information:
- Server Information: Core database configuration and runtime information.
- The version of the server is displayed prominently above the core database configuration.
- Premium edition users can also export diagnostics from this page.
- Under Runtime Information, the current server time is shown, helping to determine the time zone in which the server is running, which may differ from users' local time zones.
- Module Information: Detailed version information for installed modules.
- Professional and Enterprise Editions of LabKey Server may also offer module loading and editing from the Module details page.
- Active Users: See which users have been active in the last hour
Error Code Reporting
If you encounter an error or exception, it will include a unique Error Code
that can be matched with more details submitted with an error report. When reporting an issue to LabKey support, please include this error code. In many cases LabKey can use this code to track down more information with the error report, as configured in Site Settings