In the LabKey Biologics data model, "Ingredients" are definitions, "Raw Materials" are physical things.
- Ingredients are virtual entities that describe the properties of a substance. For example, the Ingredient "Sodium Chloride" includes its molecular weight, melting and boiling points, general description, etc. You register an Ingredient like this only once.
- Raw Materials are physical instances of an Ingredient, tangible things that have a location in storage, with specified amounts, sources, lot numbers, locations, vessels, etc.
There is a similar relationship between Mixtures
- Mixtures are definitions. Recipe definitions, instructions for combining Ingredients.
- Batches are physical things, what you get when you combine Raw Materials according to some Mixure recipe.
This topic describes viewing registered media and steps for registration of ingredients and materials. The processes for creating mixtures and batches
are covered elsewhere.
dashboard provides tiles for registering and managing:
brings you to a grid of available (previously created) ingredients. There is a Create >
menu to create a new ones and Manage
to import bulk data defining ingredients.
Selecting Create > Ingredient
opens the wizard for creating a new ingredient.
This wizard is controlled by the fields in the 'Ingredients' DataClass, which can be customized through LabKey Server by an administrator to include the fields you need. For example, the insert panel for ingredients might look like this:
Once required fields are completed, click Finish
and you will see the grid filtered to show only your new ingredient. Click the 'X' on the filter to return to viewing all ingredients.
The raw materials used in mixtures are listed on the Raw Materials
Select Create > Raw Material
to add a new one. The interface is similar to that for creating samples
with options to:
- Create Raw Materials from Grid
- Use Bulk Import (shown below)
- Use Bulk Update
- Import Raw Materials from File (click the button to download a Template for this file)
A quantity is required, a description is optional, and the other fields included are determined by the "RawMaterials" sample type.
- Quantity (Required)
- Product Number
- Lot Number
- Expiration Date
- Ingredient Name
If you select one or more Ingredients
in the grid prior to selecting Create > Raw Materials
, those ingredients will be prepopulated in the wizard.
Bulk Upload of Ingredients and Raw Materials
To upload ingredients and raw materials in bulk, select Manage > Import Data
A variety of file formats are supported, including Excel and TSV files. Click Template
to download a blank file with the appropriate column headings for import.