This tutorial shows you how to work with samples in LabKey Biologics, showing you how to:
- Register new samples
- Generate Sample IDs
- Link the samples to assay result data
In this step we register new samples in the system, along with generated sample ids.
- On the main menu, click Sample Types.
In the grid, click Samples
to open the Sample Type named "Samples".
On the next page, select Create > Samples
to create new samples of this type. Note that we are using a sample type named "Samples" for this example. Directly below that option, you can use a dropdown menu (also labelled "Samples") to select another sample type if desired.
In the sample registration form:
- Notice that the Sample Type is already set to "Samples".
- Notice that the Create Samples from Grid tab is preselected. The option to import sample data from a file is also supported.
- Click Bulk Insert.
- In the popup:
- Enter 5 in the New Samples box.
- Description: For Glucose runs
- Sample Kind: broth draw
- Click Add Samples to Grid.
- Notice that the Sample ID will be generated for you and the Description and Sample Type columns have the shared values you entered.
- Click Finish creating 5 Samples.
5 samples are registered. Their Sample IDs are generated using the pattern (visible in the sample overview):
Which means "S-" followed by a two digit year based on the value you provide for sampleDate, followed by a four digit yearly sample counter. Since our example did not enter a date value, it will create sample ids like:
The actual sample ids that are generated may be different for you, depending on the current state of your sample registry. Administrators have complete control over the sample naming pattern to suit the needs of your organization.
Upload Experiment Results ("Assay" Data)
In this step we upload assay data for our new samples.
- Use the checkbox at the top of the column to select all five samples.
- Select Create > Assay Data > Glucose.
- Enter the following data:
- Operator: your name
- Assay Id: enter a name for the assay run, like "Run1"
- Comments: "Routine glucose checks."
- Assay Request: leave blank, as there is no pre-existing assay request to fulfill. If there was such a request, you could select it here to track its status.
- Results: Enter the data below, either manually using Enter Data into a Grid or by Copy-and-paste Data (include the header row when you copy and paste).
- NOTE: If the Sample IDs generated for you are different, modify this table before you import it. Otherwise your results will not be linked with the samples you created.
- You are taken to the details page for this run.
- Click Batches to see all of the Glucose data so far registered. Your latest entry appears as the last item in the grid.
- Click the Runs sub-tab to see all run-level data.
- Click the Results sub-tab to see all glucose result data. You may need to tab to the next page or sort/filter the data to see the specific result rows you just entered.