can be organized and customized to help you manage your data and provide all the tools your team needs for effective collaboration. You can customize how users find and interact with your content with web parts. To use the features covered in this topic, you will need an administrator role.
Many site level "look and feel" settings can be customized at the project level by selecting (Admin) > Folder > Project Settings
anywhere in the project you want to adjust.
Learn more in this topic:
Project and Folder Management Settings
- Navigate to the folder you want to view or manage.
- Click the icon at the bottom of the folder menu, or select (Admin) > Folder > Management to view the Folder Management page.
- Review the tabs available.
The folder tree view shows the layout of your site in projects and folders. You can Create Subfolders
as well as Manage Projects and Folders
, including folders other than the one you are currently in. Select a folder to manage by clicking it.
- Aliases: Define additional names to use for the selected folder.
- Change Display Order: Customize the project display order used on menus. You can change the order of folders by dragging and dropping.
- Create Subfolder: Create a new subfolder of the selected folder.
- Delete: Delete the selected project or folder. You will be asked to confirm the deletion.
- Move: Relocate the folder to another location in the tree by changing the parent container. You cannot use this feature to make a folder into a project, or vice versa.
- Rename: Change the name or display title of a folder.
- Validate: Run validation on the selected node of the folder tree.
The available Folder Types
are listed in the left hand panel. Selecting one will determine the availability of Modules
, listed in the right hand panel, and thus the availability of web parts
. You can only change the type of the folder you are currently in.
If you choose one of the pre-defined LabKey Folder Types (Collaboration, Assay, Flow, etc.)
, a suite of Modules
is selected for you. Only the web parts associated with checked modules are listed in the drop down Add Web Part
on your pages. You can add more modules and web parts to your folder using the module checkboxes.
Module properties are a way to do simple configuration. A property can be set for the whole site, for a project or any other parent in the hierarchy, or in a subfolder.
Only the values for the modules, as seen under the Folder Type tab, that are enabled in the current folder will be shown. Not all modules will expose properties.
Data columns can be configured to show special values indicating that the original data is missing or suspect
. Define indicators on a site-wide basis using the Admin Console
. Within a folder you can configure which missing value indicators are available
. Missing value indicators can be inherited from parent containers.
The default missing value indicators are:
- Q: Data currently under quality control review.
- N: Required field marked by site as "data not available".
Learn more in this topic: Manage Missing Value Indicators / Out of Range Values
Insert or update the mapping of Concept URI
by container, schema, and query.
The administrator can set default Email Notification Settings
for events that occur within the folder. These will determine how users will receive email if they do not specify their own email preferences. For more information, see: Manage Email Notifications
A folder archive is a .folder.zip file or a collection of individual files that conforms to the LabKey folder export conventions and formats. Using export and import, a folder can be moved from one server to another or a new folder can be created using a standard template. For more information see, Export / Import a Folder
You can import a folder archive to populate a folder with data and configuration. Choose whether to import from a local source, such as an exported archive or existing folder on your server, or to import from a server-accessible archive using the pipeline. Select specific objects to import from an archive. For more information see, Import a Folder
Premium Features Available:
LabKey Server allows you to upload and process your data files, including flow, proteomics and study-related files. By default, LabKey stores your files in a standard directory structure. A site administrators can override this location for each folder if desired.
You can define display and parsing formats as well as customize charting restrictions at the site, project, and folder level.
To customize the settings at the folder level use the (Admin) > Folder > Management > Formats
Formats set here will apply throughout the folder. If they are not set here, the project-level setting will apply, and if not set in the project, the site level settings will apply.
Display formats for dates and numbers can further be overridden on a per column basis if desired using the field editor
The information tab contains information about the folder itself, including the container ID (EntityId).
The full-text search feature will search content in all folders where the user has read permissions. Unchecking this box will exclude this folder's content unless the search originates from within the folder. For example, you might exclude archived content or work in progress. For more, see Search Administration
Projects Web Part
On the home page of your server, there is a Projects
web part by default, listing all the projects on the server (except the "home" project)
. You can add this web part to other pages as needed:
- Enter > Page Admin Mode.
- Select Projects from the <Select Web Part> menu in the lower left and click Add.
The default web part shows all projects on the server, but you can change what it displays by selecting Customize
(triangle) menu. Options include:
- Specify a different Title or label for the web part.
- Change the display Icon Style:
- Large (Default)
- Folders to Display determines what is shown. Options:
- All Projects
- Subfolders. Show the subfolders of the current project or folder.
- Specific Folder. When you choose a specific folder, you can specify a container other than the current project or folder and have two more options:
- Include Direct Children Only: unless you check this box, all subfolders of the given folder will be shown.
- Include Workbooks: workbooks are lightweight folders.
- Hide Create Button can be checked to suppress the create button shown in the web part by default.
Subfolders Web Part
web part is available as a preconfigured projects web part showing the current subfolders. One is included in the default Collaboration folder when you create a new one. This web part shows icons for every current subfolder in a given container, and includes a Create New Subfolder
- Enter > Page Admin Mode.
- Select Subfolders from the <Select Web Part> menu in the lower left and click Add.
You can customize it if needed in the same way as the Projects web part