- Specimen functionality is a legacy feature available with Premium Editions of LabKey Server. For new installations, we recommend using Sample Manager
instead. Learn more
or contact LabKey
This topic covers basic ways that any user with Read access can view and search the specimen repository system.
You can try these features on a local server where you have installed the example study
Explore Specimen Repository Data
A study folder has a Specimen Data
tab containing two web parts visible to readers by default:
- Vial Search: A web part for selecting specific specimens of interest.
- Specimens: This web part contains links to view all specimens by vial or group as well as a number of predefined groupings.
- Specimen Vial History
Note that the presence of these default web parts can be customized by a folder administrator and may not be shown in all studies.
Vial Search Web Part
The Vial Search
web part offers many options for searching for specific specimens of interest. For example the following image shows a search request for all blood specimens from participant 249318596.
In the search panel, you can also select Grouped Vials
or click Show Additional Fields
to search for specimens matching many more criteria.
You can sort and filter the data using the menus available on every column heading, helping you to locate specimens of interest. You can also create charts and reports from the data for analysis and sharing. Learn more in the topics in this section: Data Grids
Specimens Web Part
View All Specimens
- Return to the Specimen Data tab.
- In the Specimens web part, under View All Specimens, click By Vial Group for a grid of all specimens in the system grouped by vial.
Notice above the grid you can click Show Individual Vials
to give you the same grid as if you had clicked By Individual Vial
under View All Specimens
Search, Reports, Requests
In the Specimens
web part, you will also see links search all specimens, either by vial group or by individual vial. There may also be reports or requests visible, depending on what has been added.
Vial GroupingsVial groupings
may be shown in the Specimens
web part as well. Administrators have control over one or two sets of groupings by various vial attributes, such as "Vials by Primary Type" or "Vials by Derivative Type" shown below.
Use the and
icons to expand and collapse the different groupings. The count of rows in each grouping is shown to the right.
Click any link to see a grid of that group of specimens. For example, click Urine
to see all the urine specimens in the system.
Specimen Vial History
Events and flags that occur with each specimen data row, such as requests or updates, are tracked and recorded. You will only be able to see the history in an advanced specimen repository.
- Open any individual vial view from the Specimens web part, or click the Show Individual Vials link at the top of a group view.
- Click [history] on the left of any row to view a summary and history for that vial including requests if any.