Reports, charts, datasets, and customized data grids are all ways to view data in a folder and can be displayed in a Data Views
web part. Within a study, this panel is displayed on the Clinical and Assay Data
tab by default, and can be customized or displayed in other places as needed. This topic describes how to manage these "data views".
Select (Admin) > Manage Views
in any folder. From the Data Views
web part, you can also select it from the (triangle)
The Manage Views page displays all the views, queries, and reports available within a folder. This page allows editing of metadata as well as deletion of multiple items in one action.
- A row of links are provided for adding, managing, and deleting views and attributes like categories and notifications.
- Filter by typing part of the name, category, type, author, etc. in the box above the grid.
- By default you will see all queries and reports you can edit. If you want to view only items you created yourself, click the Mine checkbox in the upper right.
- Hover over the name of an item on the list to see a few details, including the type, creator, status, and an optional thumbnail.
- Click on the name to open the item.
- Click a Details link to see more metadata details.
- Notice the icons to the right of charts, reports, and named grids. Click to edit the metadata for the item.
- When managing views within a study, you can click an active link in the Access column to customize permissions for the given visualization. "Public" in this column refers to the item being readable by users with at least Read access to the container, not to the public at large unless that is separately configured. For details see Configure Permissions for Reports & Views.
Hover over a row to view the source and type of a visualization, with a customizable thumbnail image
Details icon for a report or chart opens the Report Details
page with the full list of current metadata. The details icon for a query or named view will open the view itself.
There are two modification dates associated with each report, allowing you to differentiate between report property and content changes:
- Modified: the date the report was last modified.
- Name, description, author, category, thumbnail image, etc.
- Content Modified: the date the content of the report was modified.
- Underlying script, attachment, link, chart settings, etc.
The details of what constitutes content modification are report specific:
- Attachment Report:
- Report type (local vs. server) changed
- Server file path updated
- New file attached
- Box Plot, Scatter Plot, Time Chart:
- Report configuration change (measure selection, grouping, display, etc.)
- Link Report:
- Flow Reports (Positivity and QC):
- Change to any of the filter values
The following report types do not change the ContentModified date after creation: Crosstab View, DataReport, External Report, Query Report, Chart Reports, Chart View.
Edit View Metadata
Click the pencil icon next to any row to edit metadata to provide additional information about when, how, and why the view or report was created. You can also customize how the item is displayed in the data views panel.
Click the pencil icon to open a popup window for editing visualization metadata. On the Properties
- Modify the Name and Description fields.
- Select Author, Status, and Category from pulldown lists of valid values. For more about categories, see Manage Categories.
- Choose a Data Cut Date from the calendar.
- Check whether to share this report with all users with access to the folder.
- Click Save.
tab is where you modify thumbnails and mini-icons
used for the report.
You could also delete this visualization from the Properties
tab by clicking Delete
. This action is confirmed before the view is actually deleted.
View Thumbnails and Mini-icons
When a visualization is created, a default thumbnail is auto-generated and a mini-icon based on the report type is associated with it. You can see and update these on the Images
tab. Learn more about using and customizing these images in this topic:
Reorder Reports and Charts
To rearrange the display order of reports and charts, click Reorder Reports and Charts
. Users without administrator permissions will not see this button or be able to access this feature.
Click the heading "Reports and Charts" to toggle searching ascending or decending alphabetically. You can also drag and drop to arrange in any order.
When the organization is correct, click Done
File based reports can be moved within the dialog box, but the ordering will not actually change until you make changes to their XML.
Delete Views and Reports
Select any row by clicking an area that is not a link. You can use Shift and Ctrl to multi-select several rows at once. Then click Delete Selected
. You will be prompted to confirm the list of the items that will be deleted.
Manage Study Notifications
Users can subscribe to a daily digest of changes to reports and datasets in a study. Learn more in this topic: Manage Study Notifications