This Wiki Admin Guide covers how administrators can set up and administer wikis and wiki web parts. To learn how to use a wiki once you have set one up, please read the Wiki User Guide.
The simplest folder type to use if you are simply setting up a documentation wiki on your server is "Collaboration". However, a folder of any type can contain wiki pages, provided the wiki module is enabled.
- In the folder where you want to create a wiki, enable page admin mode. If you do not already see the Exit Admin Mode button in the header, select (Admin) > Page Admin Mode.
- From the Select Web Part pulldown, select Wiki and click Add.
- If there is already a page named "default" in the current container, it will be shown, otherwise you will see the "New page" content:
- Click Create a new wiki page to create your first page, named "default" by default.
- Enter any title and content you choose. By default you are creating an HTML wiki and can use the visual editor tab to enter text.
- Click Save & Close to see the web part populated with your new wiki content.
Once a first wiki web part has been created and populated with a wiki, any user with "Editor" access to the folder can edit and create additional wikis. See how in the Wiki User Guide
A walkthrough can also be found in the Collaboration Tutorial
Wiki Web Parts
There are three kinds of wiki web part, two for individual pages and one for the collection as a whole:
- The "wide" web part displays one wiki page in the main panel of the page. Add a "Wiki" web part at the bottom of the left side of the page.
- The "narrow" web part displays one wiki page on the right side. Add a "Wiki" web part at the bottom of the right column of the page.
- The "Wiki Table of Contents" web part can be added on the right side of the page and displays links to all the wiki pages in the folder.
Note that when the browser window is not wide enough to show both side by side, the "narrow" web parts will be shown below
the "wide" web parts.
Customizing the Wiki Web Part
To specify the page to display in the Wiki web part, select Customize
- Folder containing the page to display: Select the appropriate container. When you select a folder here, the second dropdown will be populated with the pages available.
- Page to display: Select the page name from among those available in the folder chosen. When you click Submit the web part will show the chosen content.
You can use this feature to make wiki content available in folders with different permissions, or even site wide for use in any project. Any wiki page placed in the Shared
project can be found by selecting "/Shared" from the folder dropdown.
Copy Wiki Pages
(triangle) menu in the header of the Wiki Table of Contents
web part (named "Pages") contains these options:
- New: Create a new wiki page. Remember to select the page order and parent as appropriate.
- Copy: Administrator only. Copy the entire wiki (all wiki pages) to another container. Only the latest version of the each page is copied using this method, unless you check the box to "Copy Histories Also". See Copy Wiki Pages for additional information.
- Print All: Print all wiki pages in the current folder. Note that all pages are concatenated into one continuous document.