This topic is under construction for the 17.3 release of LabKey Server. For current documentation of this feature, click here.
Message boards let you post team announcements and set up threaded conversations among users. Announcements might include planned site outage announcements, new results in a study, organizational and personnel changes, introducing new features for users, etc.
Message boards can be made available to the general public, or restricted to a selected set of users. Message board access is controlled by the security configuration of the folder where it resides. If a folder is only accessible to the user group "Lab A", then the message board is accessible only to users in that group. See the security tutorial
Individual announcements in the message board can also include threaded discussions contributed by users. This allows users to ask questions and receive answers in a public (or private) forum.
Researchers often use the message board to announce new content and updates to their work. Here a fictional example message, announcing new data and press resources:
Notice that each message contains:
- A title
- The author's name
- The date posted
- The body of the message. If the body is longer than a few lines, only the first few are shown
- A link to view the entire message and/or post a response message
Set up a New Message Board
To set up a workspace and message board of your own:
- Navigate to a location on your LabKey Server in which you have administrative access and can create a new folder.
- Sign in.
- Create a new folder workspace:
- Go to (Admin) > Folder > Management and click Create Subfolder.
- Name: "Collaboration Tutorial".
- Folder Type: Collaboration.
- Click Next.
- On the Permissions page, confirm "inherit from parent folder" is selected and click Finish.
- Notice that the page contains two main sections or "web parts": a Wiki web part and a Messages web part.
Start a Conversation on the Message Board
- In the Messages web part, click New.
- On the New Message page, make the following changes:
- In the Title field, enter "First Announcement".
- In the Body field, enter "This is the first announcement of the collaboration project."
- Notice the Render As pulldown. Options:
- Plain Text (default): Leave this selected for the tutorial.
- Wiki Page: Supports the use of wiki syntax to format the page.
- HTML: Supports HTML source code.
- Markdown: Supports the use of markdown syntax to format the page.
- Notice the option to attach a file (but skip this option for the tutorial).
- Click Submit.
- Notice that the Messages web part contains a new listing titled First Announcement.
Continue the Conversation
When you submit the message, you are returned to the main page of your tutorial and see the message in the Messages
- Click View Message or Respond to open the message page.
- Click Respond.
- In the Body field, enter "This is a response to the first announcement."
- Click Submit.
On the "View message or respond" page, you have a few other options:
- Edit: each message you have written shows an edit link if you need to make corrections.
- View list: view the messages on this board in list format
- Print: print (to a new browser window)
- Unsubscribe: change your email preferences for this message. When you add a message, you are automatically subscribed to receive responses to a message when you post it. Change to receive a digest or unsubscribe completely using this option.
- Delete Message: Delete the original message and all replies.
Configure the Message Board
- Click the " Collaboration Tutorial" link to return to the main page.
- In the Messages web part, open the menu and choose Admin.
- In the Board name field, replace the text "Messages" with the text "Our Team Message Board".
- In the Conversation name field, replace the text "Message" with "Announcement".
- Review but do not change the other customization options.
- Click Save.
- Notice that the web part has a new name, now is showing "all announcements", and the view link text is also changed.
Customize Messages Web Part
- Enter > Page Admin Mode.
- Notice that now the web part menu offers the Customize option.
- Select it to set whether full or simple messages are shown in the web part display.