Using LabKey Server as an Electronic Lab Notebook
LabKey Server offers the functionality of a simple Electronic Laboratory Notebook (ELN), including:
- Documentation of experimental procedures and results.
- Management of file-based content.
- Organization of lab notes and observations.
Like any content on LabKey Server, the ELN resources are searchable
via full-text search and securely shareable
with individuals or groups of your choice.
Each ELN can be set up as an individual folder or you can use individual tabs within a folder. Within each folder or tab a combination of tools may be used for the lab notebook, including:
- Workbooks: Use workbooks as containers for experimental results, work areas for uploading files, and holding lab notes.
- Assays: Use assay designs to hold your instrument data in a structured format.
- Sample Sets: Use sample sets to track and organize the materials used in laboratory experiments, including their derivation history.
- Audit History: LabKey Server's extensive audit log can help you meet compliance challenges.
- Wikis: Wiki pages can handle any sort of textual information, including laboratory free text notes, grant information, and experimental procedures.
- Files: Manage your file-based content.
- Search: Locate resources using full-text search.
Getting Started with ELN Functionality
See the ELN tutorial
to begin building a basic electronic lab notebook. The tutorial shows you how to model a basic lab workflow which links together freezer inventories, samples, and downstream assay results. Use this example application as a starting point to extend and refine for your own workflows.
Electronic signatures are currently not supported -- contact LabKey
for information on implementing this feature in collaboration with our development staff.