LabKey Server ships with a script for upgrading a LabKey Server running on Linux and OSX, or other UNIX-style operating systems. This script, named manual-upgrade.sh, can be used to upgrade your LabKey Server to the latest version.
How to use this script
Type "manual-upgrade.sh" with no parameters in a console window for help on the script's parameters.
The script provides a number of command line options:
The command-line options -l, -d, and -c are required
manual-upgrade.sh -l dir [-d dir] [-c dir] [-u tomcatuser] [--service|--systemctl|--catalina]
-l dir: LABKEY_HOME directory to be upgraded. This directory contains the
labkeywebapp, modules, pipeline-lib, etc directories for the existing
LabKey Server instance. (Required)
-d dir: Upgrade distribution directory: contains labkeywebapp, lib, and manual-upgrade.sh.
(default: current working directory)
-c dir: CATALINA_HOME; root of LabKey Apache Tomcat installation.
-u owner: the tomcat user account (default: current user)
--noPrompt: do not require the user to hit enter before proceeding with the install
(Web server startup/shutdown method: select one)
--service: use /etc/init.d/tomcat (default)
--systemctl: use /bin/systemctl
--catalina: use CATALINA_HOME/bin/shutdown.sh and CATALINA_HOME/bin/startup.sh
For this example, we will assume that
- LABKEY_HOME directory: /usr/local/labkey/labkey
- Upgrade distribution directory: /usr/local/labkey/src/labkey/LabKey18.1-58484.70-community-bin
- CATALINA_HOME directory: /usr/local/labkey/apps/tomcat
- TOMCAT version: 8.5
- Owner: tomcat
Using these assumptions, the upgrade command will be
manual-upgrade.sh -l /usr/local/labkey/labkey -d /usr/local/labkey/src/labkey/LabKey18.1-58484.70-community-bin -c /usr/local/labkey/apps/tomcat -u tomcat --service
Additional NotesRoll back to previous version:
Backup of LabKey Server database:
- This script does not keep a backup copy of the LabKey Server java files after the upgrade. In order to install a previous version, you will need to have the LabKey Server distribution files available on your file system.
- You can then simply execute the script again specifying the previous version's directory containing the uncompressed LabKey Server distribution files
- Note: this will not roll back any database upgrades that have occurred and may put your server into a bad state
- This script does not perform a backup of your LabKey Server database.