Structured data records generated by another application can be imported into an existing dataset with matching structure. To create a new dataset from a given structured data file, see instead Create a Dataset from a File
- Navigate to the dataset of interest.
- Select Insert > Import Bulk Data above the dataset grid. You are now on the "Import Data" page.
- To confirm that the data structures will match, click the Download Template button to obtain an empty spreadsheet containing all of the fields defined. Fill in your data, or compare to your existing spreadsheet and adjust until the spreadsheet format will match the dataset.
- To import the data either:
- Click Upload File to select and upload the .xls, .csv, or .txt file.
- Copy and paste tabular data into the Copy/paste text box.
- Click Submit.
Validation and Error Checking
Only one row with a combination of participant/sequenceNum/key values is permitted within each dataset. If you attempt to import another row with the same key, an error occurs.
Data records are checked for errors or inconsistencies, including:
- Missing data in required fields
- Data that cannot be converted to the right datatype
- Data records that duplicate existing records and are not marked to replace those records
Once the data records have been validated, they are imported into the database and the results are displayed in the browser.
Information about the import operation is recorded in a log file so that the history of both successful and unsuccessful data imports can be reconstructed.