This tutorial shows you how to:
- Pass parameters between pages via a URL
- Filter a grid using a received URL parameter
In particular, this tutorial shows you (1) how to collect user input from an initial page and then build a parameterized URL to pass the user's input
to a second page and (2) how to use information packaged in the URL to filter a data grid
We will use a list of reagents as our sample data, filtering for reagents that start with
the user provided value. For example, if the user enters 'ab', the grid will display only those reagents whose name starts with 'ab'.
See a completed version
of what you will build in this tutorial.
First, set up the underlying data and pages.
- Go to the Home project.
- Create a new folder to work in:
- Go to Admin > Folder > Management.
- Click Create Subfolder.
- Name: "URL Tutorial".
- Folder Type: Collaboration.
- Click Next.
- On the Users/Permissions page, confirm that Inherit from Parent Folder is checked, and click Finish.
- Download the following sample data: URLTutorial.lists.zip (This is a set of TSV files packaged as a list archive, and must remain zipped)
- Import it to your folder by selecting Admin > Manage Lists. Click Import List Archive.
- Click Choose File.
- Select the URLTutorial.lists.zip file, and click Import List Archive.
- The archive is unzipped and the lists inside are added to your folder.
- Click URL Tutorial to return to the work folder.