Now that we have created some Samples
and learned how to describe and import assay data
, it's time to add some other users so we can understand how the workflow management tools work in Sample Manager. To do this, we will add a few fake users and assign them different roles. You must have administrator permissions yourself to complete the tasks in this step.
- To add one or more new users, select > Users.
- On the User Management page, click Create.
In the popup:
- Enter one or more email addresses, each on it's own line for each user you want to create.
- For this tutorial, create users for
- Select the desired Role(s) for the users you are creating. For the tutorial, you can use only the default Reader, or add Storage Editor if you want to experiment with freezer storage actions.
You will see the new users added to the grid. In the green banner message, you can click the link to filter the grid to only the newly added users.
Once users have been defined, an administrator can assign them one of the available permission levels
, including but not limited to:
- Readers: Have a read-only view of the application.
- Editors: Have the Readers' access, and can also add new information and edit or delete data related to samples, assays, and jobs.
- Administrators: Have full control over the application. This includes user management, permission assignments, storage actions, and creating and editing sample types, assays, and job templates.
- All of our fake users are currently in the Reader role.
- Click the Editor role panel to open it.
- Click the Add member... dropdown and select "team_lead".
- Selected users will be shown in the panel for the role as you go.
- Click Add member... again and select "lab_technician".
- Each time you select a user, the details for that user will be shown on the right.
- In the image below, the Editor role is being granted to the team lead and lab technician; all three fake users we added are still also members of the Reader role.
View Audit History
This is a good time to mention that all actions in Sample Manager are logged for later use and reference. The audit logs can be viewed from the > Audit Logs
page, or by clicking View Audit History
on other pages in the Administration
section. This option is sometimes under the Manage
menu. The log opens to the section most relevant to where you were when you opened it.
Learn more in this topic: Audit History