This topic describes how an administrator can configure LabKey applications, including Sample Manager and Biologics LIMS, to use BarTender
for printing sample labels. Once configuration is complete, any user can send sample labels to the web service for printing
Configure BarTender Integration
BarTender integration is supported when used with a BarTender Automation license. We have tested versions 2019, 2021, and 2022.
In the BarTender application, you will identify the web service URL and create the label file(s) for printing. The label file has the extension .btw. LabKey applications accept a default label file, but also allow the user to specify a different variant at the time of printing.
Include Print Portal
When you install BarTender, be sure to select Specify advanced installation options
, then select the BarTender with Print Portal
option. (It is included by default in version 2019.) To add Print Portal to an existing installation of BarTender, re-open the original installer file, select Modify, and select BarTender with Print Portal.
Enable HTTPS Endpoint for BarTender
Current versions of BarTender do not natively support the HTTPS secure endpoint. Until BarTender is able to provide this support, you must use a self-signed certificate and complete these additional steps in your BarTender installation:
- Install and set up the BarTender Print Portal web application from the exe/msi installer.
- Set up the BarTender Print Portal with HTTPS in IIS 7. This guide provides step-by-step instructions, including obtaining the certificate and configuring the SSL port:
- (Optional) Enable HTTPS in Print Portal under the administrative setup->security->enable authentication over HTTPS
- This just verifies that SSL is set up, but is otherwise optional since we aren't doing any authentication.
- Set up your web service integration in Integration Builder and deploy it as usual.
- Key step: Deploy the Integration service on port 80, instead of a custom port.
- This is a stock file that just needs deployment via the BarTender tooling
- Set up the Label template folder location(s) in the Administration console.
- The BarTender portal service URL is then:
https://<your host>/Integration/<integration service name>/Execute
- For versions prior to BarTender 2021, use this URL:
https://<your host>/BarTender/API/Integration/<integration service name>/execute
Additionally, in BarTender 2021 and 2022, https requests to the BarTender API are disabled by default. This creates an issue with LabKey Server, since it requires an https connection. A workaround is available by following the instructions below, specifically enabling the "Passthrough" functionality of the BarTender Print Portal:
1. First following these steps: Turning on Integration Passthrough
2. Use this BarTender URL in LabKey:
https://<BarTender host>/BarTender/API/IntegrationServicePassthrough?targetURL=<service URL>
Example BarTender Configuration File
Download this example to help you get started with BarTender 2021 or 2022:
For versions prior
to BarTender 2021, use this example:
Once deployed using the BarTender deployment wizard, the LabKey application would access at the following location (unless you edit the service name):
For versions prior to Bartender2021, use this URL:
Configure LabKey to Print BarTender Labels
Return to the LabKey application (Sample Manager or Biologics LIMS) and select > Application Settings
In the BarTender Web Service Configuration
- BarTender Web Service URL: This is the URL of the web service to use when printing BarTender labels.
- Use Test Connection to test your configuration.
- Click Save to save it.
Manage Label Templates
Click Add New Label Template
for each template you want your users to be able to use. If you are using multiple Projects
, templates can only be defined in the home project.
- Name: Give the template an identifying display name your users will recognize.
- Description: The description can provide more detail.
- File Path: Provide the path to the label template file to use. The path should be relative to the default folder configured for the BarTender web service specified above.
- Set as Default: Click the selector if you want this template to be the default.
- You are not required to set a default, but if you do, it will be preselected when users print labels.
- For users of multiple Projects, there can be a different default template in each project.
Once templates are defined, you can return to the > Application Settings
page to manage them.
- Click a template name to see or update details, including whether the template is the default.
- Select and then click Delete to delete a template.
If there is a problem with your configuration or template, you will see a message in the popup interface allowing you a chance to verify or change the label template you've selected. If a change needs to be made to the underlying URL configuration, contact an administrator to retry the configuration process