When creating new Samples
, the Add Manually
option gives you several options for entering sample information in the application directly, as opposed to uploading a file of data. You can manually enter values for the fields in a grid format, or use bulk insert and bulk update to streamline entry of similar values.
Note that fields of type File
are not included in grid import methods. Values must be individually added as described in this topic: Attach Images and Other Files
Create Samples From Grid
Open the grid method for creating new Samples from the desired Sample Type by selecting Add > Add Manually
You can also choose Add Samples > Add Manually
on the home page or the Sample Types dashboard, choose the desired Sample Type
from the dropdown.
The entry grid
will contain a column for each built-in and custom property in the Sample Type, as well as a prepopulated parent or source
column for any import aliases the type includes
. The alias name will not be used, but there will be a column for including the parents of the same type.
Add Parent (Optional)
If the Sample Type has one or more Parent
samples, you will see a prepopulated parent field. To add more, click Add Parent
. Select the Sample Type of the parent(s). If you will have parents of different types, add one for each type of parent.
Learn more about including parentage information in this topic: Sample Lineage / Parentage
If you add but then want to remove a parent linkage, you can delete it by clicking the X next to "Remove Parent #" on the right.
Add Source (Optional)
If the Sample Type has one or more Sources
, you will see a prepopulated source field. Click Add Source
to add additional columns for each Source Type you will associate with samples of this type. Select the Source Type from the dropdown.
Learn more about including source information in this topic: Sample Lineage / Parentage
If you add but then want to remove a source linkage, you can delete it by clicking the X next to "Remove Source #" on the right.
Add Samples Individually
To directly create samples in a grid, start by adding a blank row for each samples you want to create. Enter the number of samples and click Add Samples
A grid with the requested number of rows will be created, with a Status
column plus a column for each field included in your Sample Type (not including any "File" fields
- Sample ID:
- If you provided a Naming Pattern with the Sample Type, the Sample ID can be generated, and this will be noted in the grid. Hover over the to see an example of a generated name.
- You could override this value by manually typing in the box, but remember that all sample IDs must be unique.
- Parent and Source Fields:
- If the Sample Type includes any parent or source aliases, there will be columns for the Sample or Source Types of these aliases included by default.
- Enter values for remaining fields using the guidance in this topic
- When ready, click Finish Creating # Samples. The number you are creating will appear on the button.
You will see the sample grid for that type, with a banner message indicating how many were created and offering actions for working with them
Reopen to add more samples by selecting Add > Add manually
Instead of directly populating a grid, you can click Bulk Insert
to create many samples at once. This is particularly convenient when samples share the same settings for some or all columns.
- Specify the number of New Samples.
- Enter values for any or all of the properties listed.
- Click Add Samples To Grid.
You will see the samples in the same grid as if you had created them individually, with the shared values. If necessary, you can further edit the property settings in the grid (directly or using bulk update
, before clicking Finish Creating # Samples
You will see a banner message offering a link to select these newly created samples for further work
Bulk Insert with Parent(s)
If you added one or more parent fields
before clicking Bulk Insert
, you will have an additional selection to make in the bulk creation popup. Choose whether you want to use the parent sample(s) to create:
- Derivatives, specifying the number of derivatives per parent.
- Pooled Samples, specifying the number of new samples to create for the pooled parent(s).
- Provide values for properties that will be shared by the newly created samples. Including 'parents' as applicable.
- Hover over the for the Status field to see a legend of available statuses.
- Click Add Samples to Grid and continue to complete the grid with any properties not shared by all the new samples.
- Click Finish Creating ## Samples when done.
While creating new samples in the grid, you can use the Bulk Update
option to assign a common value to a selected set of rows. As for bulk update of assay data rows
, you control which fields are Enabled
for update to a new common value you provide. The disabled fields will retain their original values.