|This topic is under construction for the 17.1 release of LabKey Server. For current documentation of this feature, click here.
Your server may be restricted to offer only those columns that have been marked as data "measures" or "dimensions" for charting.
- Dimension: "dimension" means a column of non-numerical categories that can be included in a chart, such as for grouping into box plots or bar charts.
- Measure: A column with numerical data.
Note: Columns of text values consisting of mostly numbers
can also be marked as measures
. For instance, a text column of integers except a few "too small" values entered as "<1" could be plotted ignoring the non numeric entries. The server will make a best effort to convert the data to numeric values and display a warning message about the number of values that cannot be converted.
If your server restricts charting to only measures and dimensions, you have two options: (1) either mark the desired column as a measure/dimension or (2) turn off the restriction.
Mark the Desired Column as a Measure/Dimension
Note that you must have editor permissions to change a dataset/list design.
- Go to the dataset/list you wish to visualize.
- Click Manage for a dataset or Design for a list.
- Click Edit Definition for a dataset or Edit Design for a list.
- Select the column you wish to visualize.
- Click the Reporting tab.
- Place a checkmark next to either Measure (for numeric columns) or Dimension (for non-numeric columns).
- Click Save.
Turn off the Measure/Dimension Restriction
Note that you must have administrator permissions to change these settings.
- Go to Admin > Site > Admin Console.
- Click Look and Feel Settings.
- Scroll down to Restrict charting columns by measure and dimension flags.
- If you see a checkmark next to this option, remove it, and click Save.