This topic covers how to move, delete, and rename projects and folders. All of these options are available by selecting (Admin) > Folder > Management
, the Folder Tree
tab is open by default.
Move a Folder
A folder can be moved within a project, or from one folder to another. Remember that folders are peers under a common parent. While both actions are "moving" the folder, the movement within a folder is only changing the display order on menus and in the folder management tree.
- On the Folder Tree tab.
- Selct the folder to move, then drag and drop it into another location in the folder tree. Hover messages will indicate what action you can expect.
- You will be asked to click to confirm the action.
When moving a folder from one project to another, there are a few additional considerations:
- If your folder inherits configuration or permissions settings from the parent project, be sure to confirm that inherited settings are as intended after the move to the new parent. An alternative is to export and re-import the folder which gives you the option to retain project groups and role assignments. For details, see Export and Import Permission Settings.
- If the folder is using assay designs or sample sets defined at the project level, they will no longer have access to them.
Because a project is a top level folder that is created with different settings and options than an ordinary folder, you cannot promote a folder to be a project.
Change Project Display Order
Since a project is a top-level folder, you can not "move" it into another project or folder, and drag and drop reordering is not supported. By default, projects are listed on the project and folder menu in alphabetical order. To use a custom order instead:
- On the Folder Tree tab, select any project.
- Click Change Display Order.
- Click the radio button for Use custom project order.
- Select any project and click Move Up or Move Down.
- Click Save when finished.
You can also reorder folders within a project using this interface by first selecting a folder
instead of a project, then clicking Change Display Order
Delete a Folder or Project
- On the Folder Tree tab, select the folder or project to delete.
- Click Delete.
- You will see a list of the folder and subfolder contents to review.
- Confirm the deletion.
Rename a Folder or Project
You can change the project or folder name
or the folder title
. The folder name determines the URL path to resources in the folder, so changing the name can break resources that depend on the URL path, such as reports and hyperlinks. If you need to change the folder name, we recommend leaving Alias current name
checked to avoid breaking links into the folder.
Note that renaming a project/folder will break any queries and reports that specifically point to the old project/folder name. For example, a query created by the LABKEY.Query API that specifically refers to the old folder in the container path will be broken, even when aliasing is turned on. Such queries and reports that refer to the old container path will need to be fixed manually.
As an alternative to changing the folder name, you can change the title displayed by the folder in page headings. Only page headings are affected by a title change. Navigation menus show the folder name and are unaffected by a folder title change.
- On the Folder Tree tab, select a folder or project.
- Click Rename.
- To change the folder name, enter a new value under Folder Name, and click Save.
- To change the folder title, uncheck Same as Name, enter a new value under Folder Title, and click Save.
- If you want to ensure links to the current name will still work, check the box to Alias current name.
Changing Folder Name Case
Suppose you want to rename the "Demo" folder to the "demo" folder. To change capitalization, rename the folder in two steps to avoid a naming collision, for example, "Demo" to "foobar", then "foobar" to "demo".