This tutorial shows you how to translate real entities in the lab into data objects in LabKey Server. The activities represented include:
- Tracking sample vials and their freezer locations
- Capture of experimental/assay result data
- Linkage between vials and downstream experimental data
- Basic lab workflows, such as the intake and processing of sample vials
- Vial status, such as "Consumed", "Ready for processing", "Contaminated", etc.
A live, completed version of this tutorial is available here: Example Lab Workflow Folder
The following illustration shows a basic lab workflow, where samples, stored in vials inside of freezers, are run through an assay instrument, which outputs result data. The top portion of the image shows the real-world lab entities (freezers, vials, instruments, and Excel files); the bottom portion of the image shows the analogous LabKey Server data capture mechanisms (Lists, Sample Types, Assay Types, and Assay Designs).
The tutorial has the following four steps: