In this step you will install LabKey Server and set up a sample observational study.
LabKey Server uses a fictional study for its sample data. This imaginary cohort study examines the effects of HIV on the human immune system, such as CD4 and lymphocyte levels, over three years of data collection. It also compares how different groups perform under different treatment regimens. All of the data in the study was assembled from randomly generated participant profiles, physical exams, and lab results. The data is fictional, but "inspired by real events" in HIV research: the data has been shaped to include plausible trends and discoverable relationships. The study includes these (fabricated) datasets:
- 200+ participant profiles, including birth gender, age, initial height, etc.
- Physiological snapshots over a three year period (blood pressure, weight, respiration)
- Lab tests (HIV status, lymphocyte and CD4+ levels, etc.)
- Specimen repository
To install this study, follow the instructions below:
Set up Steps
- If you haven't already installed LabKey Server, complete the following instructions:
- Download this sample folder zip file but do not unzip it:
- Go to a project where you can create a new folder. On your local server, you can use the Home project: http://localhost:8080/labkey/project/home/begin.view?
- Sign in.
- Create a new folder to work in:
- Go to (Admin) > Folder > Management and click Create Subfolder.
- Name the folder "HIV Study" (or anything you wish).
- Set the folder type to Study. (This enables the study-related tools in the folder.)
- Click Next.
- Confirm that Inherit from Parent Folder is selected and click Finish.
Import the Pre-prepared Study
- On the New Study page, click Import Study.
- Confirm Local zip archive is selected, then click Choose File. Navigate to and select the "ImportableDemoStudy..." zip file you downloaded.
- Leave "Validate All Queries After Import" selected. Do not select "Show advanced import options."
- Click Import Study.
- Wait for LabKey Server to process the file: you will see a status notification of Complete when it is finished. You might see a status of Import Folder Waiting on a busy or shared server. If the page doesn't update automatically after a few minutes, refresh your browser window.
- Click the HIV Study to go to the home page of your new study. If you gave your folder a different name, the link will include that name.
If you navigate to your study before LabKey Server has finished processing it, some elements will be missing from your study. That's not a problem; if you notice something missing, just wait a few more moments and refresh your browser.