LabKey Server can be configured such that only specific columns marked as data "measures" or "dimensions" are offered for charting. When this option is disabled, all numeric columns are available for charting.
- Dimension: "dimension" means a column of non-numerical categories that can be included in a chart, such as for grouping into box plots or bar charts.
- Measure: A column with numerical data.
Note: Text columns that include numeric values
can also be marked as measures
. For instance, a text column that includes a mix of integers and some entries of "<1" to represent values that are below the lower limit of quantitation (LLOQ) could be plotted ignoring the non numeric entries. The server will make a best effort to convert the data to numeric values and display a message about the number of values that cannot be converted.
If your server restricts charting to only measures and dimensions, you have two options: (1) either mark the desired column as a measure/dimension or (2) turn off the restriction.
Mark a Column as a Measure or Dimension
Note that you must have editor permissions to change a dataset/list design.
- Go to the dataset/list you wish to visualize.
- For a dataset:
- Click Manage, then Edit Definition.
- For a list:
- Click Design, then Edit Design.
- Select the column you wish to visualize.
- Click the Reporting tab.
- Place a checkmark next to either Measure (for numeric columns) or Dimension (for non-numeric columns).
- Click Save.
Turn On/Off Restricting Charting to Measures and Dimensions
Note that you must have administrator permissions to change these settings. You can control this option at the site or project level.
- To control at the site level:
- Select (Admin) > Site > Admin Console.
- Click the Admin Console Links tab.
- Under Configuration, click Look and Feel Settings.
- To control at the project level:
- Select (Admin) > Folder > Project Settings.
- Confirm that you are viewing the Properties tab.
- Scroll down to Restrict charting columns by measure and dimension flags.
- Check or uncheck the box as desired.
- Click Save.