|This topic is under construction for the 17.3 release of LabKey Server. For current documentation of this feature, click here.Client users
of the file repository typically browse and download files, but administrators
of the repository have an expanded role.
As an administrator, you can:
- Add and delete files.
- Customize which actions are exposed in the user interface.
- Audit user activity, such as when users have logged in and where they have been inside the repository.
We will begin by interacting with the repository as an ordinary user would, then we will switch roles and approach the repository as an administrator with expanded permissions.
Browse and Download Files (Client Users)
- If the file upload panel is open, click the Upload Files button to close it.
- Click the folder tree toggle to show the folder tree on the left.
- Notice that the button bar may overflow to a >> pulldown menu on the right if there are more buttons visible than fit across the panel.
- Click into the subfolders and files to see what sort of files are in the repository.
- Double-click an item to download it (depending on your browser settings, some types of files may open directly).
Customize the Button Bar (Administrators)
You can add, remove, and rearrange the buttons in the Files
web part toolbar. Both text and icons are optional for each button shown.
- Return to the folder home page by clicking the Start Page tab.
- In the Files web part toolbar, click Admin. (Note that when more buttons are displayed than fit across the files panel, overflow buttons will be on a >> pulldown menu to the right).
- Select the Toolbar and Grid Settings tab.
- The Configure Toolbar Options shows current toolbar settings; you can select whether and how the available buttons (listed on the right) will be displayed.
- Uncheck the Shown box for the Rename button. Notice that unsaved changes are marked with red corner indicators.
- You can also drag and drop to reorder the buttons. In this screenshot, the parent folder button is being moved to the right of the refresh button.
- Make a few changes and click Submit.
- You may want to undo your changes before continuing, but it is not required as long as you can still see the necessary buttons. To return to the original file repository button bar:
- Click Admin.
- Return to the Toolbar and Grid Settings tab.
- Click Reset to Default.
Configure Grid Column Settings
Grid columns may be hidden and reorganized using the pulldown menu on the right edge of any column header, or you can use the toolbar Admin
interface. This interface offers control over whether columns can be sorted as well.
- From the Toolbar and Grid Settings tab, scroll down to Configure Grid Column Settings.
- Using the checkboxes, select whether you want each column to be hidden and/or sortable.
- Reorder columns by dragging and dropping.
- Click Submit when finished.
- If needed, you may also Reset to Default.
Audit History (Administrators only)
The Audit History
report tells an administrator when each file was created or deleted and who executed the action.
- In the Files webpart, click Audit History.
In this case you will see when you uploaded the sample directory.