You can set up a remote connection to another instance of LabKey Server for API-level access to server functionality. Remote connections are not a direct connection to a database; instead data is accessed through API calls to the target server.
The connection is limited to a specified folder on the target server, such that only data from that folder can be accessed, allowing you to limit user access to data.
To set up a remote connection:
- To encrypt the login to the remote server, define an encryption key in the labkey configuration file labkey.xml. On Windows, a typical location for the configuration file is C:\Program Files (x86)\LabKey Server\apache-tomcat-7.0.42\conf\Catalina\localhost\labkey.xml For details on setting a encryption key see labkey.xml Configuration File.
- Select a folder on the accessing server. The data retrieved from the target server will be available in this folder on the accessing server.
- Go to Admin > Developer Links > Schema Browser > Manage Remote Connections.
- Click Create New Connection and complete the form.
- Click Save.
- Click Test to see if the connection is successful.