In this step, you will create a LabKey Study folder and set some basic study properties.
- If you haven't already installed LabKey Server, follow the instructions here:
- Download and unzip the sample research data to the location of your choice.
Create a New Study Folder
Study folders contain tools to help you manage your study, organize your data and set up security so that only authorized users can see the data.
- Sign in to your LabKey Server and navigate to the Home project, or another location where you can create a new tutorial folder if you are working on a shared server.
- Create a new folder to work in:
- Go to Admin > Folder > Management and click Create Subfolder.
- For the Name enter "Tutorial".
- For Folder Type select "Study". You can hover over the names of various folder types to see tool tips describing their purpose.
- Click Next.
- On the Users/Permissions page, confirm "Inherit from Parent Folder" is checked and click Finish.
- If you instead click Finish and Configure Permissions you will see the project configuration permission page. Make no changes there and click Save and Close to continue).
- Click the Create Study button.
Set Study Properties
Study properties are where you store some basic information about your study, including a name, identifying information, a protocol document, etc. You may also customize the word used to describe individual participants in a study (participants, subjects, mice, etc.)
For this tutorial, set your study's properties to the values shown in the screenshot below. The Study Label will be the title shown in the top banner of your study - it does not need to match the underlying folder name, which is the default. Notice that the word "Study" is appended automatically to the label. If you named your folder "Tutorial Study" it will now show "Tutorial Study Study" by default.
Here you will create a date-based study with editable datasets and simple specimen tracking.
- Timepoint Style: Dates
- Start Date: 2008-04-01
- Default Timepoint Duration (in days): 28
- Repository Type: Standard Specimen Repository
- Security Mode: Basic security with editable datasets
- Click Create Study.
- You will initially land on the Manage tab, the administrator UI for many study features.
Click Change Study Properties
to see or make further changes to the study properties, including some optional fields not offered in the initial creation step:
- Investigator/Grant/Species: providing the name of the investigator and/or grant, or the species under study, allows later filtering of a large number of studies by these attributes.
- Description: The text entered here will be displayed on the overview tab.
- Render Type: Select how to interpret the description entered: plain text, HTML, or Wiki syntax.
- Subject Noun (Singular and Plural forms): The subject noun typically indicates the organism being investigated, for examples, "Mouse", "Mosquito", "Participant". This noun will be used throughout the user interface of the study.
- Subject Column Name: The is the default column name containing subject ids. Your data does not need to conform to this column name. It is only the default used by the server.
- Specimen Repository Type: (Only offered during initial creation of a study.) The Standard repository integrates your specimen data with the other datasets. Advanced repositories provide an additional specimen request management system.
- Security Mode: (Only offered during initial creation of a study.) Provides security pre-configuration. You can change the security settings later on.