LabKey Server helps you model instrument data in a manageable and meaningful way. Organize large quantities of complex data, analyze integrated datasets, and prepare experiment data for integration with related clinical, demographic, and sample information.
LabKey captures experimental data using the assay framework. An assay design tells LabKey Server how to interpret your instrument data and the context around it. All common tabular formats are supported, as well as a wide variety of instrument-specific formats.
The experimental/assay framework also provides the following general features:
- Handling large amounts of data, generated repeatedly and over time.
- Tracking both data and metadata.
- Cleaning, validation, transformation of assay/experimental data.
- Integration with other types of related data, such as clinical data.
- Publishing and sharing selected data in a secure way with collaborators.
Standard assays are the most flexible choice for working with experimental data. For each assay design, you customize the format for mapping your experimental results.
All common assay file types are supported:
- Excel formats (.xls, .xlsx)
- Tab or Comma Separated Values (.csv, .tsv)
- Text files
- Protein sequencing formats (.fna, .fasta)
In general, if your instrument provides tabular data, then the data can be imported using a Standard Assay. Standard assays are highly-flexible and configurable by the user, so you can extend them to fit your needs.
Standard Assay Topics
A developer can create a specialized "module-based" or "file-based" assay type that provides additional functionality. When created and deployed, these assay types will be available as Specialty Assays
when you create a new assay design.
More Instrument Data Topics
Support for data from other types of instruments is supported in specific modules outside the assay system:
Instrument-specific Specialty Assays (Premium Feature)
In Premium Editions, LabKey also offers many instrument-specific assay types, including NAb, ELISpot, ELISA, Luminex, etc. built in to LabKey Server. See the full list below
. These Specialty Assays pre-configure commonly used structures and metadata fields, and many support special built-in dashboards and reports. Specialty assays are also highly-flexible and configurable by the user, so you can extend the reach of any available type to fit your needs.
Specialty Assay Types
LabKey assay tools simplify complex laboratory workflows and incorporate custom analytics and quality control and trending tools for specific instrument types. Supported types include:
- ELISA - Imports raw data from BioTek Microplate readers.
- ELISpot - Imports raw data files from CTL, Zeiss, and AID instruments.
- Expression Matrix - Import a GEO series matrix-like TSV file of probe/sample values.
- Fluorospot - Similar to ELISpot, but the detection mechanism uses fluorophores instead of enzymes.
- Luminex - Imports data in the multi-sheet BioPlex Excel file format.
- NAb (Neutralizing Antibody) Assays - Imports results from high- or low-throughput neutralizing antibody assays.