The overall Look and Feel
of your LabKey Server can be set at the site level, then further customized at the project level as desired. Settings selected at the project level supersede the broader site-level settings. For example, each project can have a custom string included in emails generated (such as the project name). All settings changed at the project level can later be cleared so that the project once again reflects site settings.
To customize the Look and Feel
at the site level:
- Go to Admin > Site > Admin Console.
- Click Look and Feel Settings.
Settings on the Properties
tab are set and cleared as a group; the settings on the Resources
tab are set and cleared individually.
Customize the Look and Feel of Your LabKey Server Installation
- System description: A brief description of your server that is used in emails to users.
- Header short name: Specifies the name of your server as it appears in the page header and in system-generated emails. By default, this property is set to LabKey.
- Web theme: Specifies the color scheme for your server. Custom themes may be defined at the site level and subsequently selected at either the site or project level.
- Font size: Specify Smallest, Small, Medium, or Large; examples are shown.
- Show Navigation: Select the conditions under which the project and folder menus are visible. Options: always, or only shown to administrators.
- Show LabKey Help menu item: Specifies whether to show the built in "Help" menu.
- Enable Object-Level Discussions: Specifies whether to show "Discussion >" links on wiki pages and reports. If object-level discussions are enabled, users must have "Message Board Contributor" permission to participate.
- Logo link: Specifies the page that the logo in the page header section of the web application links to. By default: /labkey/project/home/home.view The logo image is provided on the resources tab.
- Support link: Specifies page where users can request support.
- Support email: Email address to show to users to request support with issues like permissions and logins.
Customize Settings Used in System Emails
- System email address: Specifies the address which appears in the From field in administrative emails sent by the system.
- Organization name: Specifies the name of your organization, which appears in notification emails sent by the system.
Customize Date and Number Formats
Customize Column Restrictions
Provide a Custom Login Page
- Alternative login page: To provide a customized login page to users, point to your own HTML login page deployed in a module. Specify the page as a string composed of the module name and n page name in the format: <module>-<page>. For example, to use a login HTML page located at myModule/views/customLogin.html, enter the string 'myModule-customLogin'. By default, LabKey Server uses the login page at modules/core/resources/views/login.html which you can use as a template for your own login page. For more details and examples see Modules: Custom Login Pages.
Provide a Custom Site Welcome Page
- Alternative site welcome page: The relative URL of the page, either a full LabKey view or simple HTML resource, to be loaded as the welcome page. The welcome page will be loaded when a user loads the site with no action provided (i.e. https://labkey.org). This is often used to provide a splash screen for guests. Note: do not include the contextPath in this string. For example: /myModule/welcome.view to select a view within the module myModule, or /myModule/welcome.html for a simple HTML page in the web directory of your module. Note that the module containing your view or HTML page must be enabled in the Home project.
Save and Reset
- Save: Save changes to all properties on this page.
- Reset: Reset all properties on this page to default values.
- Header logo (optional): Specifies the custom image that appears in every page header in the upper left. 147 x 56 pixels.
- Favorite icon (optional): Specifies an icon file (*.ico) to show in the favorites menu or bookmarks. Note that you may have to clear your browser's cache in order to display the new icon.
- Custom stylesheet: Custom style sheets are optional but can be provided at the site and/or project levels. A project style sheet takes precedence over the site style sheet. Resources for designing style sheets:
To customize the Look and Feel
at the project level:
- Navigate to the project home page.
- Go to Admin > Folder > Project Settings.
The project-level settings on the Properties
tabs duplicate the site-level options enabling optional overrides. One additional project-level property is:
- Security defaults: When this box is checked, new folders created within this project inherit project-level permission settings by default.
You can add a custom menu at the project level. See Add Custom Menus
for a walkthrough of this feature.
This tab allows you to optionally configure a project-level file root, data processing pipeline, and/or shared file web part. See Set File Roots