This topic covers the basics of creating new Workflow Jobs
in LabKey Biologics.
Creating jobs and templates within Biologics is very similar to using the same tools in LabKey Sample Manager. Additional documentation is available in the Sample Manager Help topics here:
Create a Job
You can create a new workflow job from many places within the Biologics application.
- From the home page Jobs List, click Start a New Job.
- Click Workflow on the main menu, then select Create > Workflow > Job.
- From any entity grid, select Create > Workflow > Job.
If any templates are defined in the system, you can click Choose Job Template
to select one and start with the jobs and files included in the template.
Enter Job Details
- Job Name
- Job Owner
- Notify These Users
- Job Start and Due Dates
- Priority Level
In the Attachments
section, upload any files that will be used for this job. This might include protocol documents or SOPs to accompany instructions in the tasks.
In the Tasks
panel, you can Add Task
for each step that should be performed in this job. Each task has a name, optional description, "Assays to Perform", due date, and can be assigned to different users.
If this workflow job will be working with samples, you can assign them to the job to make it easier for user to find what they need to complete their tasks.
Click to open the Input Samples
section, then Search for Samples
. Options include a text search for samples or attributes, as well as a set of filters by:
- Of Sample Type
- From Parent
- Created By
- Date Range
Finish Creating Job
When ready, you can click Finish Creating Job
or use the
menu for more options:
- Save as Template
- Save as Template and Start Job
Learn more about creating jobs from templates below
Create a Job from Selected Samples
On the grid for any Sample Type, you can select one or more samples, then select Jobs > Start a Job with Selected Samples
This will create a new workflow job using the wizard as described above, prepopulating the Assigned Samples
section with your selection. You can add additional samples as usual.
Create a Job from a Picklist
Using sample picklists
gives you a method for 'gathering' a collection of samples, possibly of different types, on a list, then adding them together to a job.
- Select Picklists from the user menu.
- Click the name of the picklist to use; it may be on the Team Picklists list.
- Select all or some of the samples from the picklist and select Jobs > Start a Job with Selected Samples.
Add Samples to Existing Job
If after job creation, you need to add additional samples, you can select them on the grid or picklist and select Jobs > Add Samples to Existing Job
In the popup, select the job by name and click Add to Job
Create Template From Job
Templates include the task definitions and file attachments, but not the user assignments, due dates, or samples. You can only create a template from a job during initial job creation. Either during the Finish Creating Job step
or by clicking Save as Template
during job creation. You give the template a name and save it for later use.
Create a New Job Template
From the Workflow dashboard or many other create menus in the application, select Create > Workflow > Job Template
Creating a template is very similar to creating a workflow job, as described above.
- Template Details: The template name and description, as well as any Attachments such as protocol documents, SOPs, or other materials that will be used whenever this template is used.
- Tasks: As for a single job, create the tasks that will make up this job. Templates can include assays, but do not include specific user assignments.