A study product
is a specific combination of immunogen, adjuvants, and antigens used in a vaccine treatment. Definitions of study products, combined with treatment protocols
can be defined and shared across multiple studies.
Studies can be configured to share some schema and definitions, enabling coordination of data collection across multiple studies. The team can agree upon the necessary elements in advance, obtain any necessary approval based on this 'template', and a number of studies in a given project can share the same pre-defined study products, treatments, and expected schedule.
To define Study Products within a study:
- Go to the Vaccine Design tab.
- Click Manage Study Products.
Populate Dropdown Options
When you insert new Immunogens, Adjuvants, and Challenges
you select values for Challenge Type, Immunogen Type, Gene, SubType, and Route
from lists specified either at the project- or folder-level. When defined at the project level, the values stored are made available in all studies within the project. This walkthrough suggests defining folder level tables; to define at the project level, simply select the Project branch of each configure option.
- Select Configure > Folder > Challenge Types.
- A new browser tab will open on the schema browser.
- Use Insert > Insert New Row (or Import Bulk Data) to populate the StudyDesignChallengeTypes table.
- When all additions to the table have been submitted, click the Vaccine Design tab, then Manage Study Products.
- Repeat for each:
- Configure > Folder > Immunogen Types to populate the StudyDesignImmunogenTypes table.
- Configure > Folder > Genes to populate the StudyDesignGenes table.
- Configure > Folder > SubTypes to populate the StudyDesignSubTypes table.
- Configure > Folder > Routes to populate the StudyDesignRoutes table.
- Click the Vaccine Design tab, then Manage Study Products again.
Define Study Products
Each immunogen, adjuvant, and challenge used in the study should have a unique name and be listed in the panels on this page. Enter information to each panel and click Save
The immunogen description should include specific sequences of HIV antigens included in the immunogen if possible. You should also list all the expected doses and routes that will be used throughout the study. When you add the immunogen to an immunization treatment, you will select one of the doses you listed here.
Click Add new row
to open the data entry fields - initially only "Label" and "Type" will be shown. Click Add new row
under "HIV Antigens" and "Doses and Routes" to add values to the associated fields.
You can delete immunogens or any component rows by clicking the trash can icon to the left of the fields to delete. You will be asked to confirm the deletion before it occurs.
Click Add new row
in the Adjuvants panel and enter the label for each adjuvant. Click Add new row
to add dose and route information. Again, list all the expected doses and routes that will be used throughout the study. When you add the adjuvant to an immunization treatment, you will select one of the doses you listed here.
You can delete an adjuvant or dose/route information by clicking the trash can icon for the fields. You will be asked to confirm before deletion occurs.
Click Add new row
in the Challenges panel to add each challenge required. Click Add new row
for "Doses and Routes" to add all the options you will want to have available when you later add this challenge to a treatment.
Once you have defined study products, remember to click Save
. Then you can package them into specific immunization protocols, or treatments.